Every person at least once in his life, but his teeth ached. Sometimes the tooth hurts so much, it is simply impossible to suffer this sensation for a long time.
It is in this situation, even those people who until the last try to avoid a visit to the doctor, go to the dental clinic.
And if not one tooth hurts, but a whole dentition or part of the jaw? What to do in such a situation and a symptom of what diseases can be unpleasant sensations, when it seems that all teeth hurt at once?
Why there is pain of this nature
Nerve endings, the teeth are combined into a single chain. The branches of the upper alveolar nerves are suited to each tooth separately.
Thus, the middle alveolar branch goes to the premolars, and the anterior branch goes to the incisors. All the nerve endings in the upper jaw are combined in the upper dental plexus. The gingival nerves to the gums and the walls of the dental alveoli also depart from it. The lower jaw has a similar innervation system.
Small nerve endings leading to the apex of the tooth, gums, in fact, are processes of the trigeminal nerve. If at any site, whether it be a tooth, gum or the trigeminal nerve itself, any violation occurs during the innervation, the pain will spread throughout the nerve fibers penetrating the jaw.
That is why if several teeth are affected by pulpitis or caries, a sensation arises that the entire jaw hurts.
The pain spreads through the nerve fibers of the entire dentition and it is sometimes difficult to identify the tooth that caused the discomfort.
Features of the clinical picture
Toothache, affecting the entire jaw, can be very different: acute, aching. It can periodically appear (usually at night) and disappear again.
Aching pain most often occurs when a person is sleeping, this is due to the fact that at rest the blood flow to the jaws increases, besides that in the evening the adrenal glands are inactive and produce less steroid hormones.
In acute conditions, such as periodontitis or pulpitis, the pain is usually permanent and unbearable, sometimes throbbing. Very often, after taking hot or cold food, there is a feeling that all teeth are aching at the same time. At the same time, the discomfort passes rather quickly.
In any case, in order to find out the cause of the onset of symptoms, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Causes of the pathological condition
There are several groups of causes and diseases for which it seems that all teeth hurt at once. Some of them are dental in nature, while others are not directly related to the teeth and gums, but at the same time there is a feeling that it is the teeth that hurt.
If all your teeth hurt at the same time, then it can be caused by such dental factors:
- Exposure of dentin or crack in tooth enamel, enamel hypersensitivity. When the dentine is exposed, the teeth hurt after taking cold, hot, spicy, sweet, salty foods. Pain can spontaneously appear and disappear. The reaction of the teeth to hot and cold can occur after the treatment of multiple caries.
- Caries. The sensation that all teeth on the left or right side of the jaw hurt may arise in a situation where several teeth are affected by caries at once.
- Pulpitis. Each person reacts differently to toothache, so this disease may cause a feeling that the entire jaw hurts. In this case, the pain is intermittent, twitching, it arises and passes. When pulpitis occurs, the death of the pulp, there is also an inflammatory process.
- Periodontitis. It is characterized by the fact that the inflammatory process affects the periodontal tissues, and pus can accumulate in the focus of inflammation. In this disease, the whole jaw can hurt, and the pain can even go to the face.
- With root cyst there are also pain in the jaw area, not having a clear localization, it creates the feeling that the pain is all at once. Exacerbation of the disease may be accompanied by weakness and fever.
- Light aching pain, a feeling that hurts the whole jaw, may occur when pericoronite. This disease is associated with improper teething wisdom.
- Gingivitis – inflammation of the gum immediately adjacent to the teeth. Painful sensations can be felt in all gums, while they turn red and bleed.
- Periodontitis – The result is not cured in time gingivitis. At later stages of development, pain is localized in the region of one or several teeth, which is associated with the formation of pustules in the periodontal pocket.
- Poorly Cured Caries, when the filling is laid out incorrectly or there are pieces of infected tissue in the drilled cavity, it can also cause a toothache.
For non-dental causes of pain in the teeth without clear localization include:
- Banal cold or hypothermia. Sometimes wet feet can lead to toothache. In such a situation, it is recommended to steam your feet and drink warm tea with honey.
- Stress It can also cause the sensation of hurting the whole jaw. The best treatment in this situation is complete rest and sedatives.
- Cluster headache may radiate to the jaw.
- With angina pectoris pain may be given to the left shoulder and lower left jaw. At the same time, the sensation that teeth on the left side hurt is likely. Such pain can be a precursor of a heart attack.
- Inflammation of the trigeminal nerve – the cause of toothache. At the same time, the entire tooth row whines to the right or to the left.
- When sinusitis usually all upper teeth ache, this is due to the fact that the maxillary sinuses are located very close to the roots of the upper teeth.
- Otitis media most often causes pain in the chewing teeth. This is a dangerous disease that can lead to meningitis, and therefore requires immediate treatment.
- Dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint leads not only to toothache, covering the entire jaw, but also to a change in muscle tone and other unpleasant symptoms.
In the case of such a problem should …
If you experience unpleasant symptoms, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible. It is important to remember that the earlier the diagnosis is made and the treatment prescribed, the sooner the painful symptoms go away.
Before going to the clinic, you can only somewhat relieve the suffering of home remedies. Pain relievers that are available in each medicine cabinet will help to relieve pain: Analgin, Tempalgin, Ketorol. If a toothache is accompanied by fever, inflammation, Paracetamol or Ibuprofen can be taken.
It is undesirable to warm up the area of localization of unpleasant sensations.
If the pain is caused by dental problems, rinsing the mouth with a solution of soda and a compress with fir oil can help. To make a compress, you need 5 drops of oil to drip onto a piece of bandage and apply to the gum.
Also, instead of fir drops for a compress, you can use the Dental drops, Denta or novocaine solution.
A decoction of oak bark is also able to pacify a toothache. When all your teeth hurt, pour a tablespoon of oak bark with boiling water, let it brew. The resulting decoction can rinse the mouth.
The feeling that the entire jaw hurts at once may occur with various pathologies. Pain in the teeth is a consequence of the disease, and not an independent disease.
If the first symptoms occur, do not tighten up with going to the clinic. Only a competent doctor is able to deal with the problem and prescribe an effective treatment.