Lucca (Lucca) – a small town with a population of approx. 83 thousand in the region of Tuscany in Italy.
In the II century to
The city is well known for its perfectly defensive walls (XVI-XVII centuries). Their length is 4200 m.
On inspection of Lucca, you can lay half a day.
From the station to piazza ricasoli (Piazza Ricasoli), located to the south of the city, you can go in the direction of the North-West to piazza risorgimento (piazza risorgimento) and through Porta San Pietro Gate (Porta San Pietro) – inside the wall. In the ancient direction to the center of the city leads via Vittorio Veneto (via Vittorio Veneto) through piazza napoleone (piazza napoleon) and on to piazza san michele (Piazza San Michele).
Lucca. Piazza Anfiteatro
The city is well known for its perfectly defensive walls (XVI-XVII centuries). Their length is 4200 m. Powerful walls (height – 12 m, width – 35 m) and the bastions are in good condition, partly due to the fact that the city has practically not taken part in military operations since their construction. At the end of the 19th century, an unusual city park was set up in defensive fortifications – several rows of plane trees were planted, wide alleys were laid, children’s and sports grounds were built.
In Lucca, many temples are sometimes called the “City of a hundred churches.” Na piazza San Martino (Piazza San Martino) is home to the main one – the Cathedral of San Martino (Duomo di San Martino).
Lucca tourist route:
It starts from the station and passes by the main attractions of the city. The entire route – 3.5 km – can be reached in a couple of hours.
Duomo di san martino
The construction of the temple began in 1063 at the order of Bishop Anselm, the future Pope Alexander II. Romance Apsida and the bell tower were attached, however, the nave and transepts were rebuilt in the XIV century, already in the classical style.
At the entrance to the cathedral, a labyrinth is cut out of one of the pilasters of the right side. The ancient Latin inscription sprava from him informs that this image of a maze built by Daedalus in Crete, from which no one could find a way out, except Theseus, who was saved by Ariadne’s love and thread. Similar labyrinths can be found in other Italian churches.
In the center of the right nave is the Volto-Santo Chapel (Chapella Volto Santo, Matteo Civitali, 1484), where the main relic of Lucca is stored – a wooden crucifix. According to an ancient legend, the image of Christ was carved from the Lebanese cedar by the Gospel Nicodemus, who was present at the crucifixion. Volto-Santo is kept in Lucca from the VIII century, and every September 13, a grandiose procession is dedicated to him.
The sarcophagus of Hilaria del Caretto (1406) is kept in a sacristy. Lucca’s ruler Paolo Guinigi commissioned him to the Siena sculptor Jacopo della Kvercha to perpetuate the memory of his spouse, who died in her youth. This marble tomb is considered one of the most valuable works of art stored in Lucca. In the cathedral there is still one piece by the same master – a statue of John the Cross, and also the work of Ghirlandaio, Tintoretto and Fra Bartolomeo.
Western and ancient facades of the cathedral are issued, respectively, to the piazza San Martino (piazza San Martino) and the piazza Antelminelli (piazza Antelminelli), away from the Duomo (Via Duomo) leads to the church of San Giovanni (chiesa di chiene de nad de chiesa di de nad de ime de ia di de ime de châtere de du di de chi de ate de châtea de la di ate de châtea de la di ate
Duomo di san martino
Chiesa di san giovanni
The church was rebuilt many times and suffered greatly during the French occupation. on the façade (1589), the romance portal of the XII century was hidden; in the interior, the three naves were separated by antique Roman columns, the wooden coffered ceiling dates from the 16th century.
According to the history, there is piazza Giglio (Piazza Giglio), where the name is the one-name Giglio Opera House (Teatro del Giglio, 1819). At the beginning of the 19th century, this scene was extremely popular in Italy and created a fair competition to the San Carlo theaters in Naples and La Scala in Milan.
Urban planning was compared with ancient times. Via Cenami (via Chenami) and via Fillungo (via Phillungo), going from south to south, and also via S. Paolino (via San Paolino), via Roma (via Roma) and via Santa Croce (via Santa Croce) in in the direction of the west, Lukka is divided into four parts. Near their intersection there was a city forum, where piazza San Michele in Foro (Piazza San Michele-in-Foro), or just Foro (Foro), is located right now.
Chiesa di San Michele in Foro
Here is the church of San Michele in Foro (Chiesa di San Michele in Foro), which was built over several centuries. The lower front of the main façade is made in the Romanesque style, the other levels are decorated with the cozy loggias (XIII century). The bell tower dates from the 14th century.
At the main façade, a marmor sculpture of the Archangel Michael with metal wings was installed. The city tells that one blessed parishioner, amazed by the beauty of San Michele, donated an emerald to the church, put a stone in the ring on the hand of the archangel, and now local residents and tourists are intently peering upwards, hoping to catch the green glow.
Casa di Puccini
Next to the church of San Michele is the house of Puccini (Casa di Puccini), where the Italian composer was born in 1858.
Inside there is a museum dedicated to the life of the composer, documents, photographs and musical instruments are stored here.
- Puccini House
- Corte San Lorenzo, 9
- summer sun – sun
Torre della ore
On the other side of the via Fillungo worth Clock towerI (Torre della Ore, 50 m). The tower itself is dated to the XIII century, and the clock was made in 1754 in Geneva.
A little further there is the Guinigi Tower (Torre Guinigi, 1384), it is the same “Tower with a garden”, which is considered one of the symbols of the city. on its top platform (41 m), evergreen trees do grow. When the tower itself and the palace, to which it houses, belonged to the Guinigi family, they are now owned by the municipality. At the end of the 1980s, this monument of architecture was discovered and opened for visits (there are 230 steps to the observation deck).
- Guinigi Tower
- Via Sant’Andrea, 45
- every day March – Sep.
Romanesque church of San Frediano
The Romanesque church of San Frediano (Chiesa di San Frediano, reconstructed. XII century.) – One of the most ancient temples of Lucca. The façade depicts a golden mosaic (Berlingiero di Milanese, thirteenth century), depicting the ascension of Christ. In the interior, the Romanesque font, a 16th-century organ and an altar attract attention, and the relics of St. Fridiana, Bishop of Lucca (d. 588).
Via Fillungo goes on piazza dell’Anfiteatro (Piazza del Anfitheatro). The Roman amphitheater has long been absent – it was dismantled even in the Middle Ages, however, the development of the square exactly repeats the plan of the arena.
From San Frediano Church via via San Giorgio (via San Giorgio), you can walk to the intersection with via Galli Tassi (via Galli-Tassi), where it costs Palazzo Mansi (Palazzo Mansi, XVI century.). Currently located in the building National Art Gallery (Pinacoteca Nazionale), where the works of Tintoretto and Luca Giordano, besides this, you can see the chambers of the palazzo, where the situation of the XVII century was.
- Palazzo Mansi
- National Art Gallery
- Via Galli Tassi, 43
- every day