Vitality & Setting — COP27 stretches into additional time
COP27 local weather negotiators go previous their scheduled ending date. In the meantime, Republicans are anticipated to nix the Home Choose Local weather Disaster Committee after they take over the decrease chamber early subsequent yr.
That is In a single day Vitality & Setting, your supply for the newest information targeted on power, the setting and past. For The Hill, we’re Rachel Frazin and Zack Budryk. Somebody ahead you this text?
Local weather negotiators but to achieve a deal in Egypt
The worldwide COP27 local weather summit is working into additional time as negotiators failed to achieve a deal by its slated finish on Friday.
On Friday, new draft textual content of a possible overarching choice was launched, however key particulars have been lacking on a contentious situation often known as “loss and injury.”
- Growing nations have referred to as for compensation for the “loss and injury” they’ve suffered. It’s been among the many largest points mentioned on the convention.
- Nevertheless, reflecting that nations haven’t but agreed on key particulars, the draft choice listed a “placeholder” as an alternative.
- As a closing deal has not been reached, negotiators are anticipated to proceed their efforts into the weekend.
President Biden addressed the convention final Friday, touting U.S. efforts to rein in emissions.
What we’re watching: It’s not clear how carefully the remainder of the draft launched Friday will mirror what’s finally agreed upon, given COP choices require settlement from each nation.
The draft requires “continued efforts to speed up measures in the direction of the part down of unabated coal energy.” It additionally requires nations to “part out and rationalize inefficient fossil gas subsidies, according to nationwide circumstances.”
It’s just like earlier negotiating textual content. The requires the part down of unabated coal and phaseout of “inefficient” subsidies have been additionally included in final yr’s Glasgow Local weather Pact.
Stick with TheHill.com this weekend for any updates from the convention.
ANOTHER HICCUP? KERRY HAS COVID
U.S. local weather envoy John Kerry has examined constructive for COVID-19 whereas attending the United Nations COP27 local weather summit in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, his workplace confirmed Friday.
“Secretary Kerry is self-isolating after testing constructive for COVID-19 in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. He’s totally vaccinated and boosted and experiencing gentle signs,” a Kerry spokesperson stated.
“He’s working along with his negotiations group and international counterparts by cellphone to make sure a profitable end result of COP27.”
Learn extra right here.
Home GOP poised to scrap local weather disaster panel
Republicans are anticipated to remove the Home’s Choose Committee on the Local weather Disaster after they retake energy within the decrease chamber subsequent yr.
“We don’t see a situation the place the ‘Local weather Disaster Committee,’ a creature of Pelosi, will live on,” the workplace of Rep. Garret Graves (La.), the highest Republican on the panel, stated in an announcement to The Hill, referring to Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).
- “Garret is dedicated to delivering on the power parts of the Dedication to America and will probably be intimately concerned in ensuring that occurs,” the assertion continued, referring to a GOP coverage plan.
- That plan contains bolstering oil and fuel, mining and hydropower.
Graves informed Bloomberg, which first reported on the committee’s probably demise, “The local weather disaster committee won’t exist.”
“I don’t suppose that’s actually in keeping with what we’re going to be targeted on,” he added.
Present chairwoman Kathy Castor (D-Fla.) launched an announcement criticizing her Republican counterparts.
“Home Republicans ignore the local weather disaster to the detriment of America,” Castor stated. “Republicans appear desperate to go down a path of accelerating sweltering scorching days, gutting clear air protections, padding the income of Large Oil, and refusing to take a severe have a look at the cost-cutting potential of unpolluted power.”
Some historical past:
- Pelosi instituted the panel when Democrats took energy in 2019. Beforehand, Democrats created a Choose Committee on Vitality Independence and World Warming, which was additionally disbanded by Republicans in 2011.
- The choose local weather committee has held a collection of hearings on climate-related points, however main local weather laws has as an alternative come from different committees resembling Vitality and Commerce.
The Hill has reached out to the workplace of Minority Chief Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif).
Learn extra right here.
White Home pronounces $13B for grid resilience
The Biden administration on Friday morning introduced $13 billion in funds to modernize the U.S. energy grid utilizing allocations from the bipartisan infrastructure regulation.
The funds will embrace $10.5 billion in aggressive grants and one other $2.5 billion by way of the Transmission Facilitation Program; they signify the largest federal funding in transmission and distribution in U.S. historical past, White Home senior adviser and infrastructure coordinator Mitch Landrieu informed reporters on a press name Thursday.
Division of Vitality Grid Deployment Workplace Director Maria Robinson stated the grant program will probably open to submissions with a deadline of February.
White Home nationwide local weather adviser Ali Zaidi famous that the administration has additionally issued approvals for a number of interstate transmission strains that may span Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and California and unlock capability of about six gigawatts.
Learn extra in regards to the funds right here.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- Pipeline’s path by way of the Jefferson Nationwide Forest to get one other look (The Roanoke Occasions)
- Trend manufacturers grapple with greenwashing: ‘It’s not a human proper to say one thing is sustainable’ (The Guardian)
- U.S. goals for zero-emissions heavy-duty autos by 2040 (Reuters) Excessive Warmth Will Change Us (The New York Occasions)
- Regional grids ‘rolling the cube’ on climate — watchdog (E&E Information)
🚀 Lighter click on: The Hill’s Images of the Week
That’s it for right this moment, thanks for studying. Try The Hill’s Vitality & Setting web page for the newest information and protection. We’ll see you subsequent week!